Hold on to your hotel keys! The designers of Grand Austria Hotel are bringing out a roll and write version of their hospitality hotness and I cannot wait!
The premise of this new mode is the same – you want to be the best hotelier in Vienna, so you’ll be prepping rooms, serving guests, hiring and firing, balancing the books, and trying to please His Emperoryness! But this time there’s 7 rounds of rolling dice with each one corresponding to actions and determining the strength of the choice you make on your turn
The description on BGG gives a detailed run down of the actions available on a player’s turn:
- Prepare as many rooms for guests as the strength of the action, paying the cost for each.
- Occupy a prepared room by paying the cost minus the action's strength; gain the depicted one-time bonus when doing so.
- Advance on the emperor track equal to the action's strength; gain the listed bonuses as you reach them, with a point bonus for reaching the end of the track first.
- Earn krone, the game's currency, equal to the action's strength.
- Hire a staff member on your board, paying their cost minus the action's strength. Two staff members give you a permanent bonus, two grant a one-time effect, and two provide bonus points during scoring.
With first player bonuses up for grabs, the race to occupy spots and complete contiguous groups of coloured rooms on your hotel board before anybody else is going to be an exhilarating one! And with asymmetric staff arrangements on the sheets, High Season promises to bring even more uniqueness to players’ strategies as they work out the strengths and weaknesses of their hospitality empire!
As a flip and write and roll and write game obsessive, I cannot wait to get my Grand Hotel Austria on, High Season style!