In the early hours of this morning the world found out the release date and price for the highly-anticipated Nintendo Switch console!
The hybrid device, which is both a handheld and home console machine, will be released here in the United Kingdom on March 3 and will cost you £279.99. This price tag means that the new console will be Nintendo's most expensive console launch in its history - beating the £250 Nintendo 64 (1997).
In the base package you will get the main console, both Joy-Con controllers, a Joy-Con grip, a set of Joy-Con wrist straps, a docking station, a HDMI cable and an AC Adaptor. There are two versions due to be released - one with a set of grey Joy-Cons and one with one blue neon blue and one neon red Joy-Con.
Alongside the release date and price of the Switch, Nintendo also revealed new games and specifications about the new console. Here's what the world found out at the hour-long event held in Tokyo!
A number of new games were announced, including a brand-new Mario called games Super Mario Odyssey. The game, due out in the winter, sees Mario leaving the Mushroom Kingdom to go on a "new sandbox-style journey."
The official description says that Mario "embarks on a journey through mysterious new places and new experiences, such as sailing between worlds aboard an airship and the ability to throw Mario’s cap."
One of the launch games for the Switch will be Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - which will also be available in limited edition form. This edition will include the game, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Sound Selection CD and a Master Sword of Resurrection figure.
A new mini-game collection title, think Wii Sports, was also announced at the event. 1-2 Switch will feature various games such as fencing, spell-casting, guitar-playing, boxing , ballet and dancing! The unique part of these games is that players compete whilst staring into each other's eyes rather than the TV screen. See more in the video below:
Another game shown-off by Nintendo was Arms, which is a motion-controlled boxing game. Nintendo say that around 80 games are currently in development for the console including Skyrim, a new FIFA title, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Splatoon 2.
We learnt plenty of information regarding the Nintendo Switch this morning, including the following:
- Eight systems can be connected for wireless multiplayer gaming
- Console comes with 32GB of storage - extendable with a MicroSD card slot
- Controller battery life will range from 2 and a half hours to 6 and a half hours
- The console charges as you play
- Three confirmed modes - TV Mode, Tabletop Mode and Handheld Mode
- Each Joy-Con includes a full set of buttons, & each can act as a standalone controller
- Each Joy-Con has motion control technology so can be used as Wii-style controllers, as well as "HD-rumble", an advanced form of vibration feedback
- The right-hand Joy-Con has an infrared camera that can detect how far away a hand is, or if it is making a rock, paper or scissors shape, which Nintendo said would allow for new gameplay ideas.
Owners of the new console will be able to play online thanks to a new paid-for subscription service. The service, similar to Xbox Live and PlayStation Plus, will allow users to chat online and set appointments for games.
The Switch will connect via Wi-Fi and will include extras such as free monthly downloads of a SNES or NES classic and other special offers.
Keep checking Zatu Games for all the latest Nintendo Switch news as we head ever-closer to its release!
UPDATE: This product is no longer available to purchase from Zatu Games. All information above including prices were correct at the time of publishing but may not be accurate in present day.