Looking to add some sticky fingers into your copy of Five Tribes? Then look no further than The Thieves of Naqala expansion…
Designer Bruno Cathala is a maestro at creating family-weight, ‘gateway-plus’ games. Days of Wonder have a marvellous reputation for producing beautiful artwork and components. The Thieves of Naqala expansion slips into the base game of Five Tribes with seamless ease. It also fits into Five Tribes’ box, so it doesn’t take up any precious shelf space!
The Thieves of Naqala is a mini expansion. It contains six Thief cards – one for each of the six different tribe types. Six tribes, because there’s a Thief card here that matches up with the purple tribe, the Artisans. This sits hand-in-hand with another expansion for Five Tribes – The Artisans of Naqala. It’s not needed if playing the base game, only.
During set-up, one Thief card sits face-up next to the Djinns, and players can ‘buy’ them in the same manner. They get replenished after purchase, again, like Djinns. The Thieves are worth a straight-up 6VP on their own, if not used. But if you wish to activate their power, they could net you even more points…
• Green: Everybody has to give up 2x goods card. The Thief gets to take any two of those cards.
• WHITE: Everybody has to give up 1x Djinn. The Thief gets to take one of said discarded Djinns.
• RED: Everybody has to give up one claimed space (with their camel on it). The thief gets to claim one for themselves.
• YELLOW: Everybody has to kill one of their (yellow) Viziers. The Thief gets to claim one of these Viziers for themselves.
• BLUE: Everybody has to remove 1x tree or 1x palace. The Thief gets to place one on any tile they control.
• PURPLE: Everybody has to give up one purple Artisan token. The thief gets to take one of them.
This expansion also comes with one extra Djinn card, too. This Djinn, if summoned, provides immunity against the thieves. It’s safe to say The Thieves of Naqala creates a drop of extra tension and thorny conflict into proceedings!
Player count: 2-4 players
Time: 40-80 minutes