Forum Rules

Zatu Games Forum Board Gaming General Discussion 2-Player Strategy Games

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Northern Dice 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

SirCull
    Total Posts : 2

I’m looking to get another game for my collection and feel there may be a space for a decent two-player game. I’m looking for something a little complex that I can sink my teeth into.

The closest I have at the moment is Tiny Epic Galaxies.

What are your favourites?

(Bonus points for portability!)

Nick Welford
    Total Posts : 24

Have you tried ‘The Cousins’ War’?

Matthew Thomasson
    Zatu Blogger
    Total Posts : 12

If you like the tiny epic range then the second edition of Tiny Epic Defenders with the Dark War expansion will give you a bucket load of replayability and content. Also includes a semi campaign mode.

Tom Harrod
    Zatu Blogger
    Total Posts : 6

I really like Targi. I included it in my ‘5 games that fit in your airport hand luggage’ blog piece a few weeks ago!

I’ve only ever played Targi online (at yucata.de) though, not a physical copy. I don’t get the opportunity to play many 2P games any more 🙁

Matthew Thomasson
    Zatu Blogger

Targi is a fantastic 2p game. Very interesting “worker placement” with the intersecting lines. For the price and the size a must buy if you want a 2p game.

biologicalman

Dice Throne is also a good 2p duelling game.

Tom Harrod
    Zatu Blogger
    Total Posts : 6

My non-gaming mate (who ironically is usually my main go-to guy for 2-player games!) really likes Kahuna, which is another one of the KOSMOS 2-player range.

Really cool back-and-forth with Kahuna, with the creation (and often destruction) of bridges between the islands. It’s satisfying to see a chain occur when you pull off a good move (or mortifying, if you’re on the receiving end of it!)…

Bod Andrage
    Zatu Blogger

Plus one to Targi. But if you want to go big then Brass: Lancashire and Underwater Cities also work well at two.

Northern Dice
    Zatu Blogger
    Total Posts : 5

Rivals for Catan is a great two player game with good hand management. Caper is also another good option with some interesting mechanics!

Steve Rye
    Total Posts : 4

Raptor is a fun asymmetric 2 player

Matthew Thomasson
    Zatu Blogger

Played Raptor once, really liked it actually. I played the Raptors and both sides seemed to play quite differently. Pretty quick as well.

Trevor

There are so many to choose from. If you like chess type games but at an accessible level my favourites are:

1. Onitama

2.The Duke

3.Knightmare Chess (for actual chess players and a great variant!)

4. Hive (pocket version is great, cheap, easy to learn, lovely to handle, quick to play and addictive)

5. Kamisado (easy rules, challenging and beautiful components)

My most played games in addition to the above are:

1. Star Realms – original game and/or Frontiers (there are some lovely cheap mini expansions for this)

2. Monopoly the card game (so much more fun and quick to play than the original!)

3. Game of Thrones, the card game (very challenging and can be expensive as it’s an lcg – but very addictive!)

Have fun!

Trevor

Are there any local players of A Game of Thrones, the card game? It’s such an excellent game but it’s difficult to locate other players.

Northern Dice
    Zatu Blogger
    Total Posts : 5

I’m a big fan of Caper as a 2 player game, but Skulk Hollow is my favourite asymmetrical one.

As as far as card games go, I’m a sucker for Rivals of Catan!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Zatu Games Forum Board Gaming General Discussion 2-Player Strategy Games